*This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn commissions.*
Of course, we could not find our old wooden hand-crank churn. That worked out fine. We bought an electric one the day before the event and made the magic mixture.
The ice cream was absolutely fabulous.
It was rich, smooth, creamy, and so much better than store bought! Everyone loved it!
This post will show how to make delicious homemade vanilla ice cream.
Cuisinart ICE-21R Frozen Yogurt and Ice Cream Maker
OXO Good Grips Solid Stainless Steel Ice Cream Scoop
Air Tight Container
1 Cup Whole Milk
2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
4 Egg Yolks
2/3 Cup Sugar
1/8 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
Step by Step Instructions1. Over medium heat, blend whipping cream, whole milk to a light a slight simmer. Remove from heat.
2. Combine egg yolks, sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Whisk mixture until it becomes a very pale color.
3. Continue to whisk while pouring 1/3 milk mixture into egg mixture. Pour 1/3 and then final 1/3 while constantly mixing.
4. Pour combined custard mixture into a pot over medium low heat. Stir mixture for 6 minutes or until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
5. Strain over large bowl.
6. Cover bowl with plastic and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (overnight is preferable)
7. Pour cold mixture into the base of ice cream maker (our base has been frozen for 24 hours - check the directions for your machine).
8. Let churn for 25 minutes.
9. Scoop soft ice cream and place in air tight container. Freeze for 3 - 6 hours depending on the softness desired.
This is a very simple recipe and the video shows exactly what to do. Coincidently, the chef on the video is from New Orleans.
For your next family gathering, make some ice cream! There is really nothing better than sitting around after a family event enjoying homemade ice cream!